Milk and Its Benefits as a Source Of Animal Protein


Milk is also another source of proteins. It is made of all the essential amino acids you find in animal proteins. You get animal milk from cows, sheep’s, and any other dairy producing animal.

Notably, the nutritional value of milk varies depending on the animal and how it is processed. Today, you walk into the grocery store and find different types of cow milk, for example. You can see skimmed or whole milk.

Milk and Its Benefits as a Source Of Animal Protein

Animal Milk

Milk is made up of mainly two forms of protein which are casein and whey protein. Casein which is the slow-digesting protein makes up to 80% of milk. On the other hand, whey is the quick digesting protein and makes up the remaining 20% of milk.

Casein Protein in Milk

Casein protein is a slow-digesting diary form of protein. People take it mostly in supplements, but it can be made in a lot of other ways. Consequently, casein protein is unique because it releases its amino acids slowly. People exploit this advantage and take casein right before bed. By doing this, they help recover muscle tissues and reduces the breakdown of other tissues as they sleep.

In line with this, several studies have shown that it has a lot of other benefits asides being a good muscle growth stimulant.

There are two main types of casein proteins:

Micellar casein: this is the main casein we all look for. It is the type of casein that digests slowly.

Casein Hydrolysate: this type of casein isn’t as popular as the micellar casein. It is pre-digested and is absorbed rapidly into the body.

The chemical makeup of casein protein

A 100-gram scoop of standard casein protein powder contains 72 grams of protein, 9 grams of carb and 3 grams of fat. Moreover, other micronutrients like calcium can also be found.

Nevertheless, the exact composition of every casein product slightly differs depending on the manufacturers.

Casein protein in muscle growth

Therefore, due to the reasons stated above, many athletes use this supplement due to its bodybuilding benefits.

Whey Protein in Milk

Whey protein is gotten from animal milk. Animal milk is made of two proteins, casein and whey. These forms of protein can be separated, which is why you can take just whey or casein proteins.

Whey protein is a complete protein because it has all nine essential amino acids. The body needs these acids for growth and to repair worn-out tissue. These acids are essential also because the body can’t create them.

Whey protein also has low lactose content. Consuming whey protein has many benefits and researchers are still discovering new therapeutic properties of whey.

Studies show it helps in weight loss due to research published by nutrition and metabolism where 158 people were given whey protein. By the end of the experiment, those who were given whey lost a significant amount of body fat but still maintained the lean muscles.

Whey has shown a possibility in it treating cancer. Yes, research published in the journal anticancer research shows that whey protein concentrates can be used in treating cancer, although more research is needed to verify this.

Milk and Its Benefits as a Source Of Animal Protein

Furthermore, whey helps in lowering cholesterol levels in the body.

Lastly, asthma whey can also improve the immune system of children with asthma. Giving children with asthma up to 10 grams of whey daily for up to 1 month can help improve their immune response.

Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter
Subscribe to our monthly Newsletter